April 19, 2011

My Fantasy Flash Fiction Workshop

Growing up, I wanted to be a professional quarterback.  Then I wanted to be president of the United States.  I even wanted to be a filmmaker.  I got to be a filmmaker, but making films is a complicated business and as a filmmaker your success depends on lots of other people.  Writing flash fiction is simple.  It only takes one person.  The writer.  I decided to be a flash fiction writer.


Image via Wikipedia

Being a flash fiction writer got me back into college and through college so that I came out of college in 2006 with an MFA in fiction writing.  I even got to teach flash fiction, but I had to adhere to the parameters of the school.  How would I teach my very own flash fiction writing workshop?
There would be three levels.  The 100-word level.  The 300-word level and finally the 800-word level.
The first level would deal with the theory of flash fiction, grammar, punctuation, spelling, exposition versus show-don’t-tell and a final in which the student had to produce a flash fiction story of 100 words or less.
The second level would deal with adding depth to the story and characterizations with the final being a flash fiction story of 300 words or less.
In the third level the student would have to produce an 800 word story.
It’s a nice dream.
Sex Videos, Girls Kissing Girls and The Topless Dancer are flash fiction stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment